The most essential tools when one is measuring the body or a body form, are those that make the job easiest, quickest and most accurate to finish the needed task.
A painter without his brushes cannot paint a picture.
A chef without ingredients cannot make a good meal.
And so, a fashion designer without proper tools cannot make a good garment.
So what does one need to correctly measure a body or a body form?
13 absolutely necessary items.
Measuring devices needed:
– both hard-edged and flexible measuring devices are needed to measure flat pattern and the body
– both in imperial and metric figures (you will likely come across companies that use either one)|
– appropriate attire for those individuals being measured
The INDIVIDUAL you are making the garment for, a MODEL if the garment being designed is for a collection (normally as a 2nd fit trial, after the body form), or a BODY FORM if you are making a collection using the standard size chart.
Body forms come in various shapes and sizes, available as adjustable or non-adjustable, with or without other body parts. So do your research on the available types and choose carefully when making the investment.
MASKING TAPE (1/4″ width in black colour)
– used to mark your seams on the body form
UNITARD or a LIGHT GARMENT
– inform the person being measured to wear something light for measuring
– good to keep in your studio in case your client shows up in a thicker garment
– can be skin tight or loose, one or two piece
– necessary for the person being measured, for the purpose of correct fitting of the garment especially if the garment being made is fitted
– whatever will be worn with the garment: regular, strapless, stick-on, push up, etc.
HIGH HEELS OR SHOES to be worn with garment being made
– necessary for the garment length measurements for those individuals whose garments will be worn with the heels, or a fit for a specific type of a shoe in terms of pant hem width
– helpful in keeping the long hair out of the way, when measuring the body
– necessary when measuring your own self, to see correct start and end positions to be measured
– full length
– helps in accurately measuring the body from waist up and down, when placed around the waist
– cotton/hemp or similar, and non-slippery
– essential for taking body measurements and other non-flat and non-straight surfaces
– good to have both in inches and in centimeters
MEASUREMENT FORM SHEET
– useful for easy reference of all body measurements
– used for clean and clear writing, drawing and marking
– never get stuck half way when completing your work
– used for easy erasing of pencil drawn measurements
These 13 items will make your measuring of the individual or the body form most accurate, easy and quick.